Adolescent Health Resource Center: Youth Public Health Advisor Program
Welcome! The NC Division of Public Health Youth Health Advisor (YHA) Team is a group of youth from across the state interested in the health and wellbeing of North Carolina’s young people. The YHA Team is committed to providing our unique perspectives and voices in shaping how our state responds to youth health issues.
- See our flyer (PDF, 726 KB).
- Check out the top 5 health topics (PDF, 121 KB) our current Youth Health Advisors are talking about.
Still have questions? See our FAQs below.
What is public health?
While a doctor treats people who are sick, public health tries to prevent people from getting sick or injured in the first place. Public health often works through promoting wellness and encouraging healthy behaviors. Prevention can happen in many ways; for example, vaccinating to prevent the spread of diseases, educating people about the risks of tobacco or alcohol, or spreading the word about how to stay healthy and giving science-based solutions to problems. You can visit the American Public Health Association to learn more about the public health field.
What does North Carolina Public Health do?
North Carolina Public Health (NCPH) works to promote and contribute to the highest possible level of health for the people of North Carolina statewide. NCPH disease prevention, health services and health promotion programs protect entire communities from communicable diseases, epidemics, and contaminated food and water as well as the impact of chronic and oral diseases.
How does the work that NCPH does impact youth health in NC?
NCPH impacts youth health in a variety of ways. Below are some examples.
- Helps support school nurses statewide provide quality school nursing services
- Supports school health centers to increase access to physical and mental health services
- Helps young people learn the knowledge and skills need to take care of themselves including supporting programs that prevent teen pregnancy and support teen parents
- Raises awareness and provides education on issues that impact young people like substance use, injury and violence, and suicide
What is a Youth Health Advisor?
Now that you know a little more about what NCPH does to keep NC youth and communities healthy, we want your feedback and voice. As we work to create programs, campaigns, or educate others about youth health, we need your opinion on what makes sense, what you like, and what is important to you. Your experiences and opinion as a Youth Public Advisor will help shape the way we approach and improve youth health statewide.
Adolescent Health Resource Center
Last Modified: November 12, 2020