WCH: Medical Home for Children Fact Sheet
What is a Medical Home?
A Medical Home is a doctor’s office, clinic or health department where the staff knows you, your child and your child’s health history. It is the one place you take your child for their health care for:
- sick visits
- special health needs
Medical Home is a team approach to providing health care. In a primary health care setting that is family-centered and compassionate, a partnership develops between the family and the doctor.
Every child needs a medical home. Children with special health care needs especially need one. They may have many professionals involved in their physical and emotional well-being. Coordinated care ensures communication and planning among everyone involved in your child’s care, including family, primary health care practitioners, specialists, community programs and insurance plans.
A Medical Home offers the very best care for your child. Because the staff knows your child, they can:
- Catch little problems before they become big problems
- Give you advice and help in caring for your child
- Make sure your child gets checkups, screenings, and shots to stay well
- Help you find the right specialists and equipment for your child
- Tell you about helpful community programs
Choosing a Quality Medical Home
Choosing a quality medical home is important! You want to take your child to someone you trust, someone who respects you as a full partner in your child’s care. Here are some questions you may want to ask. You may think of others.
Some questions to ask:http://www.nchealthystart.org/ public/medicalhome/
- Do you accept my child’s health insurance?
- If I cannot pay what I owe, can I set up a payment plan?
- What are your regular office hours? What if my child needs care at night, on weekends or holidays? Do you have an advice line I can call?
- If I have many concerns, may I schedule a longer appointment?
- Will you regularly check my child’s developmental progress?
- How can we work together in planning my child’s care?
- Will you tell me about and help me contact health and community resources?
- How familiar are you with my child’s special health care needs?
- I like talking with other families who have had similar experiences. How do you use families as resources to your practice?
For more information about this service contact:
- Partnering with your Doctor - The Medical Home Approach (PDF, 1.01 MB)
- N.C. Family Health Resource Line at 1.800.367.2229.
- Children with Special Health care Needs Help Line at 1.800.737.3028
Last Modified: June 18, 2020